Touch of Class » Touch of Class Competition Rules
||Touch of Class Competition Rules
A Touch of Class Competition Rules
1. Choirs will compete during the daytime competition in three divisions based on class size. Trophies will also be awarded to choirs in the prep division,with the majority of the members being 9th and 10th grade students. Choirs in classes compete under sized regulation of the Iowa High School Music Association, which has sanctioned this event.
2.UPDATED IHSMA RULES:
A single student may participate in one Mixed Show Choir and one Unisex Show Choir as a vocal performer.
The instrumental back up must contain only eligible high school students. EXCEPTIONS: Show Choirs may use one school approved adult to staff a keyboard, bass, or drumset combo position where an eligible student is not available. The use of an adult in the above situations will NOT disqualify the group from receiving the Best Back up Band Award (since it is in compliance with IHSMA rules) An adult can also play the drums or bass if deemed necessary.
3. The riser levels are 8",16",24" and 32". Our stage is a 40' X 40' raised (24 inches) stage. The band area is carpeted. You need to keep all risers in place but can add to them if you wish. It would help us if your parent group knows your set up and can assist, but it is not necessary. Please make sure we have your stage set up prior to the competition.
4. Choirs are free to present any type of performance they wish. Directors may be on stage with their choirs and may direct. Any type of instrumental accompaniment is allowed, however, the IHSMA rules prohibit the use of taped accompaniments, sequenced sounds or drum machines.
5. In our gymnasium all equipment, including that which is carried by individual performers (e.g. hats, canes, or other props) can be brought onto the stage by way of stage left OR right, and can be removed stage left or right. Once you are in the gym, there IS room to travel behind the stage to stage left to set up, enter and exit. Eventually you will ALL exit the gym on the stage right side, but there is room behind the stage to cross. There is room on stage left for entry and exit within the show. Performers may begin and end the show from either or both sides as long as equipment flow is not congested. The band will enter and exit on steps BEHIND the stage.
6. There is no time penalty, we simply ask groups to set up, tear down and perform as quickly as possible. Timing has nothing to do with music education, so there are no penalties, thus helping to alleviate stress for everyone.
7. No pyrotechnics,or fog machines (they set off our fire alarm!)and no strobe lights are allowed. Glitter, confetti, dry ice are permitted as long as the group cleans up when finished.
Our stage crew will assist you in setting up any additional equipment.
Benton Vocal Music
Benton Community Schools
PO Box 70
Van Horne, Iowa 52346