Unit Guides and Downloads » Plate Tectonics|
Plate Tectonics Unit Guide
Chapter 7 Approximate Length: 4 Weeks
High School Earth Science Objectives
· E3.3A Explain how plate tectonics accounts for the features and processes (sea floor spreading, mid-ocean ridges, subduction zones, earthquakes and volcanoes, mountain ranges) that occur on or near the Earth’s surface.
· E3.3B Explain why tectonic plates move using the concept of heat flowing through mantle convection, coupled with the cooling and sinking of aging ocean plates that results from their increased density.
· E3.3C Describe the motion history of geologic features (e.g., plates, Hawaii) using equations relating rate, time, and distance.
· E3.3d Distinguish plate boundaries by the pattern of depth and magnitude of earthquakes.
· E3.2A: Describe the interior of the Earth and where the magnetic field of the Earth is generated.
· E3.2C Describe the differences between oceanic and continental crust.
· E3.2D Explain the uncertainties associated with models of the interior of the Earth and how these models are validated.
Key Vocabulary (All of Chapter 7)
Earthquakes Convection Density Magnetic Reversal
Oceanic Crust Continental Crust Magnetosphere Transform Boundary
Lithosphere Magma/Lava Inner Core Seismic Waves
Mantle Convection Mid-Ocean Ridges Mesosphere Magnetic Reversal
Mountain Ranges Plate Boundaries Outer Core
Plate TectonicsTheory Slab Pull Ridge Push Volcanoes
Sea Floor Spreading Subduction Zones Tectonic Plate Upper Mantle Continental Drift Pangaea GPS
Transform Boundaries Convergent Boundary Divergent Boundary
Week 1: Study 7-1 and 7-2, complete all homework assigned in class, and study for quiz.
Week 2: Study 7-3 and complete all homework assigned in class, and study for quiz.
Week 3: Study Chapter Summary and prepare for test.
Terms to Learn & What You’ll Do (located at beginning of every section), Section review questions at the end of each section, Chapter Highlights at the end of each chapter, chapter review questions, study packet (collection of work and notes), design flash cards, quiz a partner.
NEED HELP DOWNLOADING:
8th Grade Earth & Space Science
Mason Middle School
235 Temple Street
Mason, MI 48854