SLS Weekly Updates » 2011-2012 Weekly Updates » February 16, 2012
||February 16, 2012
- Next month Jen McLaughlin and I will be presenting to Children and YA Librarians what the Common Core Standards are and how public libraries can help support them. I am looking for ideas/suggestion on ways we can all collaborate together. If you have ideas/suggestions, please let me know. I am also thinking it would make sense to share database access information with the Public Libraries. We will stress to them it is ONLY for students who attend those schools that can have access.
- Grade levels are now in place for all SLS eBooks. Thank you to everyone who helped on this project! Using your visual search, we can set it up so the titles will be broken down by grade level and publisher.
- For an example, please visit Hilton Merton Williams Catalog: http://destiny.hiltoncsd.net/cataloging/servlet/presentvisualsearchdisplayform.do?l2m=Library%20Search&site=101.
- The levels are Primary, Intermediate, MS, HS, and Professional Development.
- We are exploring how we can add Lexile and Fountas & Pinnell, we will keep you posted on this!
- We can train you on how to set up your own Visual Search, or we can set it up for you…just let us know!
- If someone wants to search by keyword AND by grade level, they won’t be able to click on a button. But they could search by the word and add the range. Example- pearl harbor hs OR butterfly intermediate OR career MS OR primary (for a listing of all picture books.
- Follow up to the ASCD eBooks from eBrary. We are working out the logistics for home access with the vendor. I have received a few questions on how to download a title to an eReader. Before it can be downloaded, the user must create their own individual account. To do this, choose the Sign In button. Towards the bottom of this window, in small print, in an option to create an account- choose this. We are putting together directions on how to do this.
- Reminder, if you would like to have a free 30 day trial of the Follett Destiny Standards Searching module, please let Patti Rose know by this Friday.
- Reminder, the RRLC Library of the Year contest is now underway. My apology to Suzanne Shearman for last week’s update as the winner two years ago was Barclay Elementary from Brockport. Last year, Churchville-Chili High School was the runner up!
- Upcoming Professional Development listings:
· Feb 29 (7:30-8:30) OR March 1 (3:30-4:30): Marketing your Library with QR Codes
· March 7 (7:30-8:30) OR March 8 (3:30-4:30): Video Book Trailers using Windows Live Movie Maker
· March 21 (7:30-8:30) OR March 22 (3:30-4:30): Using Nintendo DS in the Classroom
· March 28 (7:30-8:30) OR March 29 (3:30-4:30): Advanced Cataloging within Follett Destiny
- I just received two new tools which can be used to decode text complexity. They are listed on the Common Core Central section of the SLS Webpage: http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/common.cfm. The documents are:
· Information Text Qualitative Rubric
· Literary Text Qualitative Rubric
· Also on this page is a sample text complexity for the Hunger Games
- Just announced…an agreement between Gov. Cuomo and NYSUT regarding teacher evaluations. The link to the Governor’s release is http://www.governor.ny.gov/press/02162012teacherevaluations.
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System Director
3625 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, NY 14624
NEED HELP DOWNLOADING:
||pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 7 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System