||SNC1D Gr.9 Science » Unit 1 Biology
Unit 1 Biology
Dear Students & Parents,
Your UNIT 1 TEST on Ecology will be on FRIDAY OCTOBER 7. All categories (KU, TI, AP, CM) will be on the test, and it is a weight of 5.
EXTRA-HELP AFTER SCHOOL
Thurs. Oct. 6 from 3:00-4:00 pm in Rm.212.
YOU MUST BE HERE ON THAT DAY - skipping or having appointments made on that day without letting me know ahead of time will earn you a ZERO on the test. If you know you will not be here, you must arrange that with me BEFORE Friday.
Part A: Knowledge & Understanding (20 marks)
- Multiple choice
- ALL key terms & key concepts
Part B: Communication (10 marks)
- Carbon Cycle
- Human impact on carbon cycle
Part C: Thinking & Investigation (20 marks)
- Aquatic & Terrestial ecosystems; food chains; energy pyramids
- biotic & abiotic factors
- population, limiting factors, carrying capacity
- pests & pesticides
Part D: Application (15 marks)
- species at risk
- pests & pesticides
Week 1: Congratulations, we have completed...
- all Diagnostic Tests (general diagnostic, literacy and math)
- set up our binders with course outline and signed student contracts; 5 dividers should be in place; behind the first divider should be the Biology Unit 1 title page, the Unit Outline, the Glossary Page, following that will be any notes and handouts received in the future.
- Block 1 and Block 2 are now completed (key terms & homework on sections 2.1 and 2.2 should be done)
REMINDER TO ALL STUDENTS AND PARENTS: LEVEL CHANGES FOR ANY COURSE CAN BE MADE BEFORE WED SEPT.21. Please see your guidance councilors for details.
Tues. Sept. 13
- Block 3 key terms & text questions (ch. 2.8 & 2.9)
- Canadian Biomes Worksheet completed
Thurs. Sept. 15
- Block 4 key terms & text questions (ch. 2.5)
- REMINDER: QUIZ ON TUESDAY SEPT. 20 on everything in Blocks 1 to 4
- Please look through the documents below, and print the ones that say "PRINT". These are pages that will help limit the amount of writing you have to do during class :)
This weekend, please take a few minutes to sign up for GIZMOS! (see Gr9 Science homepage for instructions).
Mon. Sept. 19
- 2.7 Limiting Factors and Carrying Capacity (worksheet/note) - finish both sides
- We also reviewed in class how to plot a line graph, what are dependent and independent variables, and how to determine carrying capacity on a graph
- Complete the "Population Case Study - Graphing Assignment" handout - finish both sides
- Block 5 key terms & text questions (ch. 2.7)
- REMINDER: QUIZ tomorrow!!
Tues. Sept. 20
- We took up the graphing assignment (populations case study)
- Notes on Carbon Cycle
- Please finish "The Interactions of Living Things" handout for homework (plant & mouse case study)
Wed. Sept. 21
- Finish notes on Carbon Cycle & Nitrogen Cycle
- Complete Block 6 & 7 key terms and text questions
Thurs. Sept. 22 - Fri. Sept.23
- Download and print "Student Exploration Sheet" (on my site or on GIZMO site)
- Complete GIZMO activity @ www.explorelearning.com - using your login!
- Introduce Unit 1 Lab - Growing Plants (you will receive instructions, timeline of events, due dates, and expectations for the lab - please note that the lab will take about a month to complete)
Computer Lab Day to perform GIZMOS:
My Period 2 class - we will meet in Room 112 on Friday Sept. 23
My Period 4 class - we will meet in Room 112 on Thursday Sept. 22
Mon. Sept. 26
- HOMEWORK CHECK for Blocks 3-7 & Ecological Footprint
- Take up homework - blocks 5-7 (if you were not here, make sure you check answers with someone in your group!)
- Homework: Block 8 (Nitrogen Cycle)
- Reminder: Quiz TOMORROW on the Carbon Cycle
Tues. Sept. 27
- Carbon Cycle Quiz
- Take Notes on Pests & Pesticides
Wed. Sept. 28
- "Growing Plants" LAB PLANNING DAY with your group (full period)
- Reminder: each group is submitting ONE copy of their Lab Proposal DUE THIS FRIDAY - ensure that the person who keeps this sheet is going to be here on Friday!
Thurs. Sept. 29
- Finish notes on Pests & Pesticides
- Homework: Block 9 text questions
Fri. Sept. 30...the last day of September!
- SOIL LAB proposal is DUE today at the beginning of class
- Design Observation Tables for your plant lab
Mon. Oct. 3
- Start notes on Species at Risk
- Homework: Block 11 text question
- Groups should have started germination of their seeds today
Tues. Oct. 4
- SOIL LAB QUIZ (wt-3)
- Finish notes on Species at Risk
- Take up homework
Wed. Oct. 5
- Your seeds might be ready to plant, check to see that they've germinated
- Groups that need to prepare their stressors for the lab should do so today
- Handout was given out on "pollution, forestry, and succession" - make sure you read the notes and complete BLOCK 12
Thurs. Oct. 6
- Planting day! most of your seeds have germinated, and they are ready to plant!
- Review day for Unit 1 Test
- After school "extra-help" from 3-4pm
Fri. Oct. 7
- UNIT TEST DAY!! Good luck :)
- Binders & Notebooks were checked
- Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!
NEED HELP DOWNLOADING:
||pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 7 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.
Red Crabs on Christmas Island
My Ecological Footprint
Calculating your Ecological Footprint.
Around the world, frogs are declining at an alarming rate due to threats like pollution, disease and climate change. Frogs bridge the gap between water and land habitats, making them the first indicators of ecosystem changes. Meet the Bay Area researchers working to protect frogs across the state and across the world.
Species At Risk
Species at risk in CANADA. Explore the "Wheel of Species" and take the "Species at risk" quiz!
Miss. Cheung's Class
Dufferin-Peel Catholic D.S.B.
Holy Name of Mary C.S.S
115 Glenvale Blvd.
Brampton ON, L6S 3J7