||The Banana Splits Website
a space for kids whose parents are separated or divorced
Welcome to The West School Banana Splits Website!
Banana Splits is a school-based group program for students who have experienced parental divorce or separation. Established in 1978 by social worker Liz McGonagle, Banana Splits now supports children, parents, and teachers in schools across the country and around the world.
The purposes are:
- to provide a safe place to express feelings
- to normalize feelings through sharing
- to train children in problem solving and coping skills
- to increase self esteem through mutual help
- to support parents and school staff in working with Splits kids
- to increase communication among children, parents, and school
Activities teach children of divorced or separated parents how to help themselves and each other. By creating a supportive community, Banana Splits aims to counteract the day to day impact of divorce and separation on teenagers and young children.
- Adapted from www.bananasplitsresourcecenter.com (Dr. Valerie Raymond)
This awesome website was created by the very amazing 5th Grade Boys Banana Splits Group (with a little help from Mrs. Bobis - West School Social Worker and Dr. Charvet - West School Psychology Intern). We hope you enjoy it!